Be merciful to me, a fool

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

0 replies
  1. ditchu says:

You have brought up some of my favorite poems and it makes me wonder if it would be useful to compile a book of poetry of LDS. What is your thoughts?

2. Rusty Lindquist says:

Sounds like a worthy endeavor. I’ll start a page for it. Got any more submissions you’d suggest? I have a whole plethera that I love – I’ve long been in the habit of memorizing poetry. Kind of fruity perhaps, but who cares. 😉

3. ditchu says:

Not fruity at all. FYI, in the Celtic culture a poet is a truth teller. It is well beleved that if a poet told a lie they would forever loose their gift and it would be such a crime in the community that instead of holdeing a reverent place in society they would have beed shuned and in some cases banished. In that culture a poet holds a sacred obligation, kind-of like the preisthood in our church.

4. marlene spiers says:

As a child I was allowed on Sunday afternoons to study one of my Arthur Mee Encyclopedia books. I was immediately struck by The Fool’s Prayer, although, at the time, the true meaning of it all escaped me. I learned it by heart and would often quote it quietly to myself – particularly the verse “these clumsy feet -” In later years I have often re-read it and I once used that verse in a letter of sincere apology to someone I had carelessly hurt.

5. ditchu says:

We all play the part of the King (in this poem) at times. I just love how the fool is the wisest of them all, and the King takes the honest lesson to heart.

unlike Mr.T I pity those who are unable to see themselves as a Fool. Pride, is a destructive force, and it leads us to that end blindly.

-D

6. Rusty Lindquist says:

Marelene… yeah, I love this poem for it’s density of true principles. I’ve often had such “clumsy feet”, and even more often for me is the “ill-timed truth” and the “words we had not sense to say”. Those always stir up very specific, recent regrets.

Ditchu, I love Mr. T!

Also, that’s one of the things I love most about this poem, is the concept that the truly noble (the king), is the one that allows themselves to stand corrected, even by the “fool”, and seeing the fool in themselves, will humble themselves accordingly.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!