President Eyring, the Lord will sustain you

Elder Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor for the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons)

Last night in the Priesthood Session of the Mormon (LDS) Conference, President Henry B. Eyring testified that the Lord will strengthen you and uphold you as you serve Him.  When you do the Lords work you qualify for the Lords blessings, and angels will support you.

There are countless instances of this in the scriptures (in the Bible and the Book of Mormon).

Nephi said it well, when he said (1 Nephi 1:20):

I Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

I truly believe that if you give the Lord your heart, mind, and are committed to serve Him, he will prepare the way for you, and provide all means and sustinance.  It just requires faith, and humility.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1. Rick says:

Elder Uchtdorf gave an amazing address in Priesthood mtng as well. You would never know he was a relatively new Apostle and a brand new Councillor in the First Presidency. I also marvelled when Bishop Burton gave his comprehensive review of LDS Humanitarian efforts in the last year. And yet we have to remember that (we) Mormons are not Christian. Nope those folks (us ) who are so mis-guided as to believe there is modern scripture and there are prophets on the earth in our day are just kidding themselves. We sure would not want someone the likes of Mitt Romney to lead our country. Sorry to politicize this site but I just could not pass up the opportunity.

2. Rusty Lindquist says:

It’s an interesting opinion. I’m not sure how you reconcile that with the fact that the name of our (we Mormons) church is called “The Curch of Jesus Christ”, and that he’s the center of our religion. The first article of our faith is, after all that “We believe in God the eternal Father, in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost”.

As for me, I believe in Jesus Christ, and that makes me a Christian. And I’m Mormon. Having an open cannon of scripture (along with a living prophet) sounds to me like a good topic for a blog post, so I’ll address those later.

Still, all are entitled to their opinion. Thanks for sharing yours, and I hope you enjoy the rest of conference.

3. sowgenerously says:

Elder Eyring always speaks directly to me. Thank you so much for sharing this little tidbit about his health. It does explain a lot and boy, does that mean I’ll be praying for him big-time! Bless yoU!

4. Bobbi Peterson says:

Thanks for this news about Elder Eyring. I would like to
    know the source before I forward it on to anyone. It’s
    hard to believe that Latter-day Saints falsify things over
    the internet, but I know sometimes they do. So, how do
    you know this information?
    Sincerely,
    Bobbi Peterson
    rabpeterson@wmonline.com

5. Aunt B says:

Thanks for sharing this faith building story. I love and support Elder Eyring. This is my first stop to your blog. In the words of Arnold Schwartznegger, “I’ll be back!”

6. Carole says:

(I thought I posted this once, but don’t see it, so I’ll try again. I hope it isn’t going to be posted twice!)

Thank you for this beautiful story. We are certainly blessed, aren’t we!

Where did you learn about it? Stories can travel that aren’t true. What is the source?

Carole

7. Rusty Lindquist says:

Carole, just look up a few comments, and you’ll see where I answered this question, and provided a bit more context. I appreciate you “checking your sources”!

8. CJK says:

Hi Rusty,

I don’t mean to be critical, but I believe your write-up contains an exaggeration. You said:

“…I don’t know if you’ve known anyone who’s had that happen, but it’s a serious surgery, with an extended recovery time.”

Certainly, 25 years ago, having a pacemaker implanted was a serious surgery. But, in today’s healthcare world, it’s a fairly routine and mundane procedure. It is done under local anesthesia (like going to the dentist). It is normal for the person who has received the pacemaker to go home the next day and be able to continue working without further interruption.

I personally had a pacemaker implanted a year ago. My condition was diagnosed as Adams-Stokes Syndrome (also known as Cardio Vascular Syncopy). My heart would sometimes stop beating for up to 15 seconds, or it would slow down to the point where I would faint. Twelve years ago, I fainted 1-2 times per year. In the months before the pacemaker was implanted, I fainted several times. In simple terms, the mechanism that signals the heart to beat would sometimes not send a signal, or would slow down. And, it happened more often as I became older.

Below is a link to a website with information on pacemaker implantation:

. In this material you will read:

“…Usually you will be able to go home the day after your device was implanted”

This was certainly true in my case. My pacemaker was implanted on a Thursday, and I went home and then to work on Friday (and I also worked on Saturday to try and catch up from being gone from work for 1.5 days). And, I have not fainted since the pacemaker was implanted (over a year).

This also appears to be the case with President Eyring (he went home the day following surgery and returned to work immediately).

Your write-up is interesting. And, I don’t mean to be critical. However, I do believe in providing accurate information and I believe your statement (below)

is not accurate. Hopefully, my reply will provide clarification for anyone who might have interest. For your information, your article is being widely circulated. I have personally received by e-mail several copies and references to your article from various friends and acquaintances.

CJK

9. Rusty Lindquist says:

Actually I didn’t know (fortunately having never been through it myself), but I appreciate you making the clarification. I don’t think it diminishes the poignancy of his point – that the Lord will sustain you, but it does add important context. I’m sorry to hear you had to go through that as well, it sounds to me like it’s not a fun thing at all.

10. CJK says:

Actually, I am glad I went through it (the pacemaker implant). Much worse to always be worrying about whether or not I am going to faint (since you never know when it is going to hit) or who is going to be “in a panic” when I would wake up to find them hovering over me.

I agree, the information does not diminish the poignancy. In fact, I feel that angels were there to support me as well (and the doctors) since it took 12 years and many, many tests to pinpoint the problem.

CJK

11. Rusty Lindquist says:

I believe it. I just posted “I believe there are angels among us“, suggesting just this. I’m glad it all worked out, and thanks for sharing your story, I’d love to actually hear more about it sometime if you don’t mind. It sounds like a story that in and of itself would be inspiring. If you send it, I’ll post it, either way – thanks.

12. Stephanie Shores says:

It is amazing that such incredible surgeries that used to be so invasive, are now becoming routine. However, I think one of the points here that is a bit overlooked is that Pres. Eyring is not a young man anymore. He will be 75 on May 31. Any type of procedure with more “mature” bodies invovles extra care AND extra healing time and power. Obviously, that power was provided by the Lord through President Monson to make up for the lack of time.

Isn’t the priesthood AWESOME????

13. C. Johnson says:

Thank you for an uplifting blog. I am often troubled when I do a search for something connected with the Church, and come up with anti-Mormon or atheist blogs. The feeling one gets from them is like standing in direct fire. How unpleasant some people are these days. One wonders if almost everyone is losing his/her decency–which is something we LDS people can’t do.

Just a note from “the English teacher”: When you say “Lords,” it is a plural, meaning more than one Lord. If you want to say, “The Lord’s work,” you need to put an apostrophe before the “s.” That makes it a possessive. This is a very common mistake today. Either I see no apostrophe where there should be one, or apostrophes all over the place where there shouldn’t be one. It’s simple: the difference between a plural and a possessive. Possessive needs the apostrophe; plural does not.

Thanks.

14. Rusty Lindquist says:

LOL, I really appreciate it. I appreciate good english, but have always been a terrible speller. Thanks for the correction. But yes, I know what you mean – it’s disturbing how much negativity there is out there. Thanks for commenting.

Stephanie – yes, the priesthood is awesome. I wish I understood it better.

15. Don Layton says:

Elder Eyring has always been a personal favorite of mine. His book, “To Draw Closer to God” is an amazing work. I look forward to each of his conference addresses.

I had this passed on to me via email and “Googled” it to try and confirm if it were true. I found several sources that all seem to lead back to you. I love this apostle and President. What an amazing servant of the Lord!

16. Sam Howard says:

Curious to know where you get some of your information, especially concerning Elder Eyring and his heart condition… Not that I doubt, just it would lend more credibility if you would site your sources. Until then it is just Mormon Myth…

17. Rusty Lindquist says:

I totally understand, and appreciate it when people check their sources. Because I got asked this quite often, I commented on it (just look 6 comments from the top – thelong one from me).

18. danite says:

I’d like to think that someone whose father-in-law lives in the fishbowl of being a general authority would be more sensitive to the need for privacy. I consider the content of blessings I give and receive private, and my medical history is certainly not the business of the public. Did becoming a member of the first presidency mean that President Eyring no longer is entitled to that kind of common courtesy?

19. T.O.L. says:

So, what happened to the “waking up on the floor, heart stopped, need pacemaker, angels supporting him blessing from President Monson?”

The story is everywhere on the internet. Change of heart, or made up, or what?

20. Rusty Lindquist says:

It wasn’t made up, but I also didn’t expect it to be so massively spread. As I considered it, I thought simply that it wasn’t my place (since nothing official came out), so I revised it. I probably should have thought of that before hand, but decided for now this was the best thing to do.

21. T.O.L. says:

So, you often say that Glen L. Pace is your favorite GA. After this, are you his favorite son-in-law?

😉

22. Joel Honea says:

Rusty, you ought to know that Latter-day Saints will spread FPR’s (Faith-Promoting Rumors) faster than a wildfire in California. I looked, but did not see your post where you give your source for this story. Church Public Affairs has stated that Pres. Eyring broke his foot (not his leg) and would neither confirm nor deny the pacemaker bit, saying his medical information is private and if he chose to discuss it he would.

So, what it your source for this?

Joel Honea