The Plan of Salvation – Love leads to action

by Rusty Lindquist on January 25, 2011 · 0 comments

As I mentioned in my prior post “Pondering the Plan of Salvation”, I mentioned how I thought that in nothing was the love of God more plainly manifest than in the Mormon doctrine of the Plan of Salvation.  The deeper you understand and appreciate of the Plan of Salvation, the more convinced you are, and aware you become, of the tremendous love of our Father.

Knowledge of God’s love instills within our souls happiness and hope, confidence and courage.  It’s an enabling power that moves us to action.

Reflecting on the times I’ve felt the spirit the strongest, I find that those are also the times I feel the most pressing need to act, to do something.

Why is it that feelings of love and gratitude tend to be action motivators?

Is there a way as a parent, a teacher, a leader, a son/daughter, or as a spouse that we can use this principle to incite positive momentum in others?  Is there less benefit when so contrived?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Standing Solus Christus April 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM

Do you believe the Gospel?

2 Rusty Lindquist April 4, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Ooh, this sounds like a loaded question, but you’ve piqued my interest.

Yes, I do believe the gospel. Wholeheartedly.

3 Standing Solus Christus April 4, 2008 at 2:02 PM

How do you define the Gospel?

And lest you think I am only here to ask you questions, let me go first.

I define the Gospel as Christ’s sufficent and efficient vicarious atonement for sinful people and His perfect fulfillment of God’s law on our behalf. Literally, Gospel is good news and this is the good news that Christ has saved me completely and freely without anything I myself have to do.

4 Rusty Lindquist April 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM

It’s that “without anything I myself have to do” part that differentiates us I think. I believe part of the Gospel are the steps that we must take to achieve exaltation. Christ’s atoning sacrifice makes it possible, but there are still things he expects from us to do. Repent, for instance. Be baptized. Do good works. Do no evil.

Perhaps I’m oversimplifying your explination (and if so, forgive me and please clarify), but it feels like if I thought I had to do nothing to be saved, then there’s all kinds of bad things I could do with no spiritual consequence. And I believe the Bible teaches me plainly that there are consequences, and that people who accept Christ, but then don’t continue on a course of righteousness, are not assured of exaltation.

Thoughts?

5 Standing Solus Christus April 4, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I do have some thoughts…

The apostle Paul expected the same criticism of the Gospel that you just described above. He responds in Romans 6:1-2. So at least I am conveying it in the manner that he understood it, since he expected the same criticism.

The apostle Paul also explains why our works do not factor into the equation. Gal 2:20-21 he states, “I have been crucifed with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

Thus, if my salvation was not earned entirely by Christ and it takes some additional work on my part to earn then why did Christ have to die? This is why I stated it was sufficient and efficient. If it were possible for works to factor into the equation (it cannot) then it would diminish the value of Christ’s death.

6 Rusty Lindquist April 6, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, I didn’t get this till tonight (and it’s 3:00 in the morning). I’ll give you a reply tomorrow. Thanks for being patient, and for having such a thoughtful (but respectful) conversation!