That’s not my job

by Life-Engineering on January 25, 2011 · 0 comments

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

1 KJ April 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Those pictures really made me laugh, but how sad it is that. I hope I thank people enough when I am pleased with their good job. I try really hard to do “abvoe and beyond” what my job is but being a member missionary is really hard for me. I do love this site though to motivate me!

2 Rusty Lindquist April 29, 2008 at 12:10 AM

KJ, thanks for stopping by. I know, member missionary work is hard. But remember, it doesn’t all have to be done in the traditional sense. Online media has opened all kinds of doors for you to be a missionary. Click here to see how you can be a missionary simply by making sure Mormon blogs like this one are placed on social bookmarking sites so that when people search for Mormonism, they find wholesome sites, and not just garbage!

Again, thanks.

3 Steph April 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Thanks for making an excellent point Rusty. You are a great example of missionary work in a modern day setting. Plus, it’s an uplifting site for all of us, and we’re learning to be better Saints! It’s a Win-Win-Win project!!!

4 Rusty Lindquist April 30, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Thank you. I’m so glad you’ve come. Like most projects, it’s more fun when done together.

5 NIMJD May 28, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Just found your blog, and I am glad to see that I am not the only one who believes our society is changing into a “Not My Job” or “NIMJD” attitude. My colleague and I came up with the term “NIMJD” (a.k.a NOT IN MY JOB DESCRIPTION). Our version of NIMJD is a verb given to any action performed by a specific individual who chooses to: – pass the buck every time (EVERYTIME!) – not live up to the “title” listed on their email sig or business card. – respond to your email request with “one liners” that not only do not answer the questions being asked, but also never make any sense… – forward your request to another person to answer, when they could have easily found the answer themselves within about 30 seconds
– never ever respond to your request for assistance…

Example: “I asked for help with my TPS reports, but she NIMJD me, and told me to submit a trouble ticket.”

From Rusty:

NIMJD – I like that, and loved the TPS reference, and boy can I associate with the one-liner emails. I’d add to that those who simply give commands, without bothering to explain the context behind them so that you know not only WHAT, but WHY, and by so knowing, can begin making decisions all your own. But they feel the WHY isn’t in their job description, only the WHAT. It’s not just in work, but school, and parenting, and basically any organization, or anywhere one person is given authority over another. Thanks for commenting!

6 michelle June 5, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Hi, where do i find more of these ‘thats not my job award’ pics, they are really funny. Thanks

7 Margaret June 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Michelle, I can’t find more pictures, but I did find a little story:

A Motivational Smile –
That’s Not My Job
By Author Unknown

This is a story told about four people named, Somebody, Everybody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was one important job to be done.

Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about it because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it. Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

8 michelle June 6, 2008 at 2:20 PM

o, thank you, I might put that one up at work, hahaha. Get some people moving. . .

9 Rusty Lindquist June 6, 2008 at 11:40 PM

LOL, that’s awesome! I think that warrants it’s own post!

Thanks Margaret!

10 NIMJD July 3, 2008 at 10:38 PM

The NIMJD movement is spreading.

We’ve created some NIMJD T-shirts at Zazzle.com