Satan is a good marketer, a lot like fast food

by Rusty Lindquist on January 25, 2011 · 16 comments

The other day I Stumbled Upon a site (here), which does a side by side comparison of popular fast food advertisements with a picture of the actual food item.  I’ve included a few of my favorites.

The whole thing caused me to reflect on the similarities between this, and Satan’s advertising tactics.  He’s quite adept at making sin look exquisite, delicious, and wonderful.  In appearance, it’s “all that you’d want”.  But then you find out that it’s not nearly what you’d expected, and it certainly wasn’t worth it.  His “advertising” creates an illusion of value and appeal, but is of no substance or worth.

Just as we must become smart consumers, and look beyond the advertising hype, as decisions in life come our way, we have to force ourselves to look beyond the advertising.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 allrone April 9, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Rusty:
Ya know, every time I see a Subway commercial and hear ‘piled high with fresh meats”, I think ‘What a bunch of liars!” The food n-e-v-e-r looks like the ad.
I was in a Subway once and one of the employees (obviously new) was trying to split an end slice of cheese so as to not put more than the allowed amount on. Her co-worker, who was training her, finally told her in a whisper “Just put it on”.

Ah yes, advertising. Isn’t it wonderful when you can see right through it? Just like your analogy with ‘choices’.

2 Rusty Lindquist April 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM

LOL, yeah, it cracks me up. Food seems especially prone to this kind of radical discrepency. Thanks for commenting, and please come again.

3 Brandt April 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Rusty –

We do not appreciate you making our food look bad. We ask that you please take down those disgusting pictures of our products.

Signed,

Andrew J. McKenna, Sr. – Chairman, McDonalds
Roland C. Smith – CEO, Arbys
Gregg R. Derrick – President, KFC

I think you ruined my appetite, Rusty!

4 Rusty Lindquist April 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM

LOL, yeah, it’s pretty funny how polarizing those pictures are. Makes you want to rush out and buy some fast food doesn’t it? I could post pictures of how the food is made, and what actually goes into them, but that would probably be going a bit too far. Hehe.

5 wordsseldomsaid April 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM

good point, man…

6 shelby April 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM

if the restaurant owners are mad they should do their commercials truthfully

7 shelby April 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM

those pictures are gross

8 shelby April 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM

those pictures are gross and i cant look

9 Rusty Lindquist April 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, they don’t exactly make you want to run right out and eat do they?

10 Asad May 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Not very appetizing

11 Crissy July 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Thank you Jeff for getting back to me. For now I decided to turn of the plugin that masks my outgoing links until I find a better sonuoitl. The masking plugin has an option where it replaces the url with a random number, which seems to work, but I have to see how it will effect my blog regarding speed.

12 Lance Quagmire December 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Idk, the arby’s still looks alright. Just flat.

13 Bradley May 4, 2016 at 10:43 PM

There are a number of reasons for acne; hence it has
numerous treatments too. Don’t worry about them; just talk to your pharmacist or doctor if you are not already using some creams.
Natural remedies do not create any side effects or rashes, which
might aggravate your skin condition.

14 jacks blow job lessons May 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Tattoos were covered up, Rosacea, birth marks – it seemed to be able
to do a fantastic job at covering without actually looking like makeup.
More importantly, you will learn the best ways to counter each
of these contributing factors of acne. The blood cells work by flattening the damaged area.

15 milagroparaelacnepdf3.blogspot.com June 1, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Now at the end of May (6 Weeks), I have lost a whopping 37 lbs and my waist is 33
inches thanks to Christina’s juice fasting diet. It is also a healthier option than zero calorie drinks that
are full of chemicals and often caffeine. What can be done to get some control of the evening overeating.

16 obession phrases June 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM

I’ve recently started a site, the info you provide on this web site has helped me greatly.
Thanks for all of your time & work.