Inspirational Quotes

by Rusty Lindquist on January 25, 2011 · 40 comments

I’m always looking for inspiration, and I’m always inspired by looking.

So, I’ve decided to start a post where we can collect inspirational quotes.   I try hard to use my blog to inspire and motivate others.  But the beauty of social media, such as blogging, is that it’s a two-way street.  This post is your opportunity to inspire me, and others who read it.

It’s an open forum, post whatever quotes you’d like, spiritual, motivational, whatever.  They can be yours, or they can be another’s (if so, please post who said it, if known).  Obvious rules will apply…

Let’s have fun.

1 Rusty Lindquist September 23, 2008 at 6:34 PM

To get started, here’s one that I’ve always found strength and inspiration in….

The backbone of success is usually found in old-fashioned, basic concepts like hard work, determination, good planning, and perseverance.

Mia Hamm, professional soccer player

2 Margaret September 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Remember that God loves you more than can be described. His love is more than enough to make up for any loss you’ve suffered. His love alone is sufficient for a sense of well-being, and the peace of mind all men seek. Bask in it, glory in it, and let it fill you with joy. Joni Hilton

3 Celi February 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM

THis is the most beautiful qoute!!! I am DEFINETLEY posting on my fb page!!!

4 Margaret September 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

PS Joni is an advice colmnist for Meridian Magazine

5 Tayten April 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

This is the perfect way to break down this ifnrmoaiton.

6 Margaret September 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM

“[The fact is] most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise….

Life is like an old-time rail journey–delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed.

The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride. (“Big Rock Candy Mountains,” Deseret News, 12 June 1973. Jenkin Lloyd Jones, columnist)
(quoted by Pres. Gordon B Hinckley)

7 B September 24, 2008 at 2:39 PM

“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” Marjorie Peay Hinckley

8 Eric Nielson September 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM

It is easy to complicate the simple. But great people can simplify the complicated.

9 Eric Nielson September 24, 2008 at 2:46 PM

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

10 Eric Nielson September 24, 2008 at 2:46 PM

If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

11 Eric Nielson September 24, 2008 at 2:47 PM

If it ain’t worth doin’, it ain’t worth doin’ well.

12 Mike September 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM

“The harder you work the luckier your get.” Gary Player (PGA golfer)

“Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.” Hyrum Smith

13 Rusty Lindquist September 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM

“I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.”

Nelsen Mandela

14 Rusty Lindquist September 24, 2008 at 4:10 PM

A fanciful and flowery and heated imagination beware of, because the things of God are of deep import, and time, and experience, and careful, and solemn, and ponderous thoughts can only find them out. Thy mind, oh man, if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation must stretch as high as the utmost heavens and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss and the broad expanses of eternity, thou must commune with God. How much more dignified and noble are the thoughts of God than the vain imaginations of the souls of men.

Joseph Smith

15 Mikila September 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM

“When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.”

E.T. Sullivan

16 Rusty Lindquist September 26, 2008 at 4:13 PM

“You Miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!”

– Wayne Gretzky

17 ryan September 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM

“Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the Wind longs to play with your hair.”
—Kahlil Gibran

18 Rachel Woods, About.com Latter-day Saint Guide October 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM

“God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them…” (Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophets: Joseph Smith, pg 268).

19 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 3:18 AM

“The Lord loves the noble servant, not the self serving noble.”

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

20 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 3:18 AM

Learn what you should learn. Be what you should be. Do what you should do.

Thomas S. Monson

21 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Those who are humble in this life, will be crowned with glory in the life to come.

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

22 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM

“A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race”

Joseph Smith

23 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM

“They do not love, that do not show their love.”

– William Shakespear

24 Rusty Lindquist October 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM

“Never let a problem to be solved, be more important than a person to be loved.”

Thomas S. Monson.

25 Janet L October 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I recently found a book at DI called “Caring Quotes – A Compendium of Caring Thought”. It is 454 pages full of great quotes. Here is one: “A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.” James Keller (1900-1977).

26 Margaret D October 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Up to a point a man’s life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be.…Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow.

Louis L’Amour (1908-1988)
Novelist

27 Margaret D November 7, 2008 at 12:46 PM

“I have learned that the Spirit of God gives you joy and peace and patience and long-suffering and gentleness, and you have the spirit of forgiveness and you love the souls of the children of men.” (J Golden Kimball’s Golden Moments (1994), p. 98).

28 Rusty Lindquist December 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM

“Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger…”

Anne Sullivan

29 Rusty Lindquist December 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.

Louis D. Brandeis

30 Rusty Lindquist December 1, 2008 at 12:32 AM

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saing, ‘I will try again tomorrow.'”

Mary Anne Radmacher

31 Rusty Lindquist December 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

“We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguisede as impossible situations.”

Charles R. Swindoll

“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.”

Helen Keller

32 Rusty Lindquist December 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM

“Error, indeed, is never set forth in its naked deformity, lest, being thus exposed, it should at once be detected. But it is craftily decked out in an attractive dress, so as by its outward form, to make it appear to the inexperienced … more true than truth itself.” –

Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 1.2

33 Margaret January 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Prayer for the New Year

Grant me the strength from day to day
To bear what burdens come my way.
Grant me throughout this bright New Year
More to endure and less to fear.
Help me live that I may be
From spite and petty malice free.

Let me not bitterly complain
When cherished hopes of mine prove vain,
Or spoil with deeds of hate and rage
Some fair tomorrow’s spotless page.
Lord, as the days shall come and go
In courage let me stronger grow.

Lord, as the New Year dawns today
Help me to put my faults away.
Let me be big in little things;
Grant me the joy which friendship brings.
Keep me from selfishness and spite;
Let me be wise in what is right.

A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye.
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I’ve played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.

– Edgar A. Guest

34 Margaret January 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM

A Prayer for the New Year

God grant us this year a wider view,
So we see others’ faults through the eyes of You.
Teach us to judge not with hasty tongue,
Neither the adult … nor the young.

Give us patience and grace to endure
And a stronger faith so we feel secure.
Instead of remembering, help us forget
The irritations that caused us to fret.

Freely forgiving for some offence
And finding each day a rich recompense.
In offering a friendly, helping hand
And trying in all ways to understand;

That all of us whoever we are …
Are trying to reach an unreachable star.
For the great and small … the good and bad,
The young and old … the sad and glad

Are asking today; Is life worth living?
The answer is only in, loving and giving.
For only Love can make man kind
And Kindness of Heart brings Peace of Mind.

By giving love, we can help this year
To lift the clouds of hate and fear.

by Helen Steiner Rice

35 Ken Harmo January 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM

The greatest battles in life are not fought on the distant field but within the chambers of one’s own soul.

~ David O. McKay

There is no grief so great, no pain so profound, no burden so unbearable that is beyond the Master’s healing touch.

~ Joseph B. Wirthlin

Pray not for a lighter load but for broader shoulders.

~ Jewish Proverb

God gives us memories that we might have June roses in the Decembers of our lives.

~ Thomas S. Monson

God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.

~ C.S. Lewis

Only those of little faith mistake local cloud cover for general darkness.

~ Neal A. Maxwell

The wise man in the storm prays God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adversity has the effect of revealing hidden reserves of strength that, in times of contentment and prosperity, would have otherwise lain dormant.

~ Horace

36 jose herrera December 13, 2009 at 3:30 AM

We should never feel lucky, we should only feel blessed.

37 Susan Saviour December 13, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Where there is a will there is a way.

Scott

38 Susan Saviour December 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Don’t try so hard, the best things come when you least expect them to.
-From an article All About Love

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying.
-Secrets of Life

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be. Because you have only one life, and one chance to do all the things you want to do.
-Secrets of Life

39 Buzz Chunk August 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM

he knows all that. hes been there. hes been lower.
-Chieko N Okazaki

40 Kailee October 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

My Banner is Clear:
I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I’m a disciple of His. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer and I labor with power.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the enemy, pander at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I won’t give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go until He comes, give until I drop, preach until all know and work until He stops me. And, when He comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear!

(Written by a young pastor in Africa who was martyred for his faith.
The note was found in his office after his death.)