How to reconcile hope with failure

by Life-Engineering on January 25, 2011 · 0 comments

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

1 Margaret June 11, 2008 at 4:44 PM

This makes me think of Thomas Edison. How many times did he attempt a light bulb before he finally got one that worked? He never gave up. Just kept trying.

2 Rusty Lindquist June 11, 2008 at 4:50 PM

That is a good example. He tried countless materials for filaments before finding the one that worked. How easy it would have been to simply say “the reality is, one can’t successfully harness electricity within a bulb because there’s no filament durable enough”. When in truth, durability wasn’t even what was needed. His hopeful demeaner allowed him to endure, which lead to his success – which brings me to my next post. How hope increases our ability to succeed.

3 nishedhi June 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Encouraging post!!!

4 llpanorama June 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Somebody smarter than me said:

“Optimism isn’t about believing that things will turn out all right. It’s about believing you’re doing the right thing, no matter how it turns out.”

So optimism is about believing in the direction you are going while knowing you don’t have complete control over the final destination. Kind of what you said.

From Rusty: I like that. I’ve long been fastinated with hope, what it is, how it relates to faith, and what makes it so easy for some people and so hard for others. Thanks for sharing this!

5 Tubbo & Dubba Tubba June 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM

This would be a good thing except we never fail. Sometimes, we wish we would fail, just to know how it feels, but we know we never will.

Please check out our site. It’s amazing, and it never fails.

See you around (our site),
-The Tubbo Twins

From Rusty: Um, Okay 😉

6 Margaret June 13, 2008 at 4:25 PM

// panorama, your quote says it very well. We can only control our own attitudes and behavior and where others are involved we may have little to do with the outcome. We can only hope, pray and have faith that when all is said and done, the outcome will be good. If it isn’t, we have still done all we could do.