Family Time

by Life-Engineering on January 25, 2011 · 0 comments

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

1 ditchu August 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Cool!
Looks like Florance or New Port, I live about 1.5 hours from the coast line in Oregon. I love it on the beach in almost all weather. Hope you and your Family had fun.

God bless,
-D

2 Margaret August 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Rusty, you are building wonderful memories for the whole family. Some of my favorite times are when my grown children get together and talk about their memories as kids. Makes me think I did a few things right during those years. Sometimes some secrets come out that would have certainly led to discipline if I had known at the time ;o).

Shortly before my Dad passed away in 1983, my sister and I gathered with our parents in his hospital room. We had a wonderful time talking about our childhood memories. There was a wonderful spirit in the room, and if my Dad had any doubts about his value as a parent, they were surely dispelled that day. Looking back, I’m sure it gave him peace during his last days on Earth.

As grandparents now, we have the opportunity to do cousins’ sleepovers in our home. Once or twice a month we gather as a family for Sunday dinner. These small things, we hope, build friendships, love and memories for our family and bring us closer.

3 Rusty Lindquist August 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM

We stayed in Manzanita, but also went to Seaside, Cannon, and a couple beaches a bit further south. Ditchu, you live in an absolutely beautiful state!

Margaret, your parents had to be wonderful. I do love watching as my wife’s family all reminisced about old times. So much fun.

4 ditchu August 13, 2008 at 5:10 PM

It is beautiful, but it tends to rain far too much from October through May.

Margaret and Rusty (and anyone else who drops a line here)

I find it very encourageing to hear about others who value family as much as I do, and It is great to hear from you guys the awsome things we share with family.

Peace in Christ,
-D

5 Margaret August 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Yes, families is what life is about! My parents did the best they could with the resources they had. I had a wonderful grandmother, too, that I try to emulate.

And what is great, Rusty, even if your childhood left much to be desired, you can create a wonderful childhood for your own children. Sooner than you think, you’ll hear your own children talk about their great childhood memories, and maybe you’ll learn some things you weren’t aware of like I have.

Ditchu, I don’t know much about you, but I’m sure you are a terrific Dad. I learn from both of you.

6 mormonsoprano August 13, 2008 at 9:20 PM

What a fun vacation! (I love the Oregon coast, by the way) A very nice post about a crucial topic.
It is nice to see that you took a break from blogging to do what is most important.

(it’s hard to walk away from the computer though, isn’t it!…very addicting)

7 ditchu August 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I desire to be the best Dad I can be and that drives me to focus on my family. I am yet far from the Greatest Dad, or #1 Dad, just ask my wife… On secound thought you may want to set aside a few hours to ask my wife because she may list all the stuff I am not doing right as a Dad.

I have a long way to go but this journey only started last year for me. I have a cute (all parents are bias toward their own kids) smart giant of a 9.5 month old Boy. They do grow up fast… I thought it took something like 18 years…

He is already giving me mini-frights as he daredevils his way acrost the floor, ect… (Fearless)

Rusty I love your story about the morning ruteen at your House… “Daaaaadeeee”
It is all about the small moments.
-D

8 Margaret August 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM

-D,
Somehow I knew you were a Dad. A relatively new one. Unfortunately, kids don’t come with instructions, and what works with one doesn’t necessarily work with another. You learn as you go, just like you learn to be a good spouse. The first one is an experiment and you get a little more relaxed (but not too relaxed) with subsequent ones. Just love them. Whatever you do, do it with love and make sure they know you love them.

Being a grandparent is easier and more fun. You are more of a support to the parents. My grandmother had a lot of influence on me-especially as a teen. She expected a lot of me-and who wants to disappoint their Grandma?

I think if I had it to do over, I’d have more fun with my kids. We did a lot of fun things, but I’d do more!