A brief history of me – why I think we’re not limited by our past

by Life-Engineering on January 25, 2011 · 0 comments

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

1 C Jones April 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Wow. What a great message, and the cross cartoon is a gentle reminder of a true concept. Thanks!

2 Bored in Vernal April 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I just had to tell you how much this story touched me. The pictures of your family are so beautiful they make my heart hurt. You look so happy.

What happened to your “prophet” dad?

3 Rusty Lindquist April 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I am so happy, I have been greatly blessed, and because of my past, it makes my current blessings all the more sweet.

My biological father showed up on my doorstep a few years back. I opened the door and there he was, I recognized him because he looked so much like me. That and his first words to me were “I’m your dad” (an interesting introduction).

Well it turns out he has Schitzophrenia, and struggles with many voices that tell him different things. He later begain sending me articles and emails about how he was again ready to be the prophet, and how the Lord was about to call him.

Those took a dark turn when they started to say that before the world was ready for his reign as a prophet, he had to fulfill his role as the grim reaper. Shortly afterward his communication stopped. I believe he’s getting treatment somewhere.

Like I’ve said in many of my posts. We’ve each been required to struggle with our own crosses. He has his own, and it’s not my place to begrudge him, or harbor any ill-will towards him because of my past.

I feel profound regret that his life is as painful as it is. And so I have no resentment, only empathy. His burdens are great enough without having to feel any of that from me.

Thanks for replying, and please invite others to read the story as well. I’ve long felt that one of the reasons I was meant to experience it all, was so that I could share the story with others. Not in a “poor me” sort of way, but to offer encouragement and hope, and as a personal illustration of the affect the hand of the Lord can have in ones life.

4 Gretchen April 9, 2008 at 10:16 PM

You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful family.

5 Yvonne April 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM

My dad e-mailed your blog address to me 2day. Your stories are great. Your blog will be another one that I visit daily! Your wife and children are so lucky to have you! Thanks for sharing your life with me.

6 Rusty Lindquist April 11, 2008 at 7:03 AM

I’m so glad you’re enjoying it. Please share it with others.

7 In The Doghouse April 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Thank you for sharing this great story of how you have overcome the adversity in your life up to this point. I too feel that we have the potential to soar to great heights, only being limited by our own fears. When we have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ we believe that all things are possible. Acting upon that belief, our faith begins to grow and soon becomes absolute knowledge. Your family is beautiful, a complete picture of what we, as children of God, were sent here to this world to do, become Eternal Families. Peace!

8 samasti April 30, 2008 at 4:14 AM

You know what, this is one of the most inspiring posts I have read in many days. At the beginning of this post, I was appalled at what it is and can be for a single mother in the US. I wandered what kind of effect it might have on your mind. But as I progressed, I found that it was one of the most inspiring tales, real life stories I have read and it shook my belief that early childhood traumas affect the mind permanently. I suppose the coming into the Uncles family changed everything for you.
God’s great! I had a similar history, but my Mom did not have many partners. I grew up with my maternal family from birth onwards but at 12 years, I came to live with my aunt and uncle who had no kids. It changed my life and changed the way I would think about men in general. Suddenly reading your account, I realise, how lucky I have been too…..thank you!
Samasti

9 Ari April 30, 2008 at 6:24 AM

I was brought up in Utah and now live in the UK and was sorley missing the mormon scene…deseret news guided me over here and after I’ve read this I need you to know that you made my day. I miss people who talk/inspire like you.

10 Rusty Lindquist April 30, 2008 at 7:47 AM

What wonderful comments!

In the Doghouse (you’re not really, are you? πŸ˜‰ what a good summary. “Soar to great heights”, lifted on the currents of our faith in the Lord – what a wonderful image.

Samasti, you and I indeed have much in common. I’d love to hear your story in more detail should you wish to share it (rustylindquist@gmail.com). I do believe our lives are guided directly by the hands of God, so as tough as it must have been, it will be a blessing to you. Of course, it’s easier to see that looking back, and much harder when you’re in the throes of adversity.

Ari, I’m so glad you’ve found my blog enjoyable. I hope you’ll all return, and share this blog with others.

Peace to you all.

11 Margaret May 8, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I just got around to exploring your site a little more. No wonder I enjoy your blog so much! I have given up most of them because they are so negative and are not uplifting at all. I have to limit my computer time or I wouldn’t get anything done. I always feel better after visiting your blog, so it will stay.

It’s great to learn more about you. I admire you tremendously for becoming the person you are in spite of your beginnings. I’m sure the Lord watched over you carefully to provide the environment you needed to become the person He needed. You have wisdom far beyond your years.

I look forward to future posts!

From Rusty, Thank you very much, I’m so glad to hear you say that, it fuels me to continue, knowing that someone appreciates it and finds upliftment. I hope I won’t let you down!

12 Lisa August 7, 2008 at 2:50 AM

I found your blog when I followed a link that someone had found MY blog from. My husband is Polish and is in the process of making a website/blog with information about the Church in his language, as there is VERY little accurate info available in Polish. He’s taken a look at yours and it’s great.

Rusty, your story has changed me, I think. It totally makes me look back and remember those kind of kids in school that everyone avoided. I’m crying. I don’t know what to say. I am just really grateful for your sake that you were blessed to find a new life and that you have chosen to spend such a good portion of it sharing the things that are most important to you in this way. I’ll be coming back and looking through your archives.

Thank you.

13 hillplus October 10, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Thanks to you, Rusty, for your story. I am so happy you have been able to purify your family line for your children and grandchildren.

14 Tiffany Corbridge December 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Rusty- I was sitting here bored on my computer tonight- looking through blogs on the internet and thought, hmmm… I wonder whatever happened to Joel… she was my “Merry Miss” teacher for a little while in primary when I was 11. We moved to Stansbury Park shortly after- or maybe even during the time that she was my leader, but I never forgot you guys. I remember coming to your house once and playing night games and always thinking that you two were the cutest couple. I bet you wouldn’t believe how much I remember about what you guys taught me- even without you ever trying to. I looked up to both of you so much and wanted to have a marraige just like yours. Anyway… I moved, wrote letters to Joel for a little while and obviously lost touch- I remember the last letter I got from her had a picture of your first son. Which leads to tonight- I was so surprised first of all to find anything about you online, and second to see that you have 6 kids now! Wow! But… more importantly I was SO happy to see that you guys are still just as amazing as ever! And… to read about all you went through when you were younger makes it even better that you’ve ended up so great. It’s nice to know that the people that I looked up to so much when I was younger are still people that I want to be like today. I am sure that you have been and still are such awesome role models to so many people and I just wanted to thank you both for being amazing examples in my life- even after all these years. πŸ™‚ ~Tiffany Hanson Corbridge

15 Sarah Allred March 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Wow! I was searching images about the USS New York and came onto your site. I then noticed all the links to questions about mormons and such. My curiosity then got the better of me and I had to read who you were. I love you life story and the perspective that you have gained in your life. I am happy that you have the gospel in your life and that is has give you so much happiness and such a beautiful family.
I am so grateful for the trials and experiences that I have had in my life. I know that even when I can’t see past the moment…I know that I can look back and see our Father’s hand always guiding me and helping me to become a stronger person. Thank you for sharing your story and your living testimony so that others may have perspective in their life and find the truth that can guide them to higher planes.

Sarah Allred