Sacrifice is hard

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

8 replies
  1. Persimmon says:

*sniffle*

This reminds me of recent times in my own life. Not because of unemployment, but because we worked to get ourselves out of debt. If anyone out there is familiar with Dave Ramsey, that’s what we did.

In 24 months we paid off $27,000 in debt. And it was hard. At least for me it was. My wife hardly noticed…she grew up poor. 🙂 These things are, at least in part, a matter of perspective.

I am SOOOOO grateful we did it. The year before we started, our baby daughter was found to have some heart conditions. We barely made it through the year financially. That’s what prompted the work. Now that we are done, and have had a season of rest, we are back to being strained financially by the unexpected. But we are free from debt, and that makes it all much more manageable. The stress and frustration we used to feel (and directed toward one another in our marriage) is gone, replaced by confidence in our abilities to make our means work for us.

You have done this before. Consider it a blessing to teach some small part of your lessons to your kids. They’re gonna need it, of course.

2. Rusty Lindquist says:

I’m a David Ramsey fan as well. Fortunately for us, and similar to you, we went through the financial peace class about two years ago, and got entirely out of debt at the time (about the same amount as well, although we do still have a mortgage). And for those not familiar with Financial Peace, even though the amount sounds enormous, you’d really be surprised by how much you can accomplish by appropriately focusing your finances, as taught within the course.

Now, I’m so glad we did. If we’d have gone into this stage of our lives with the burden of debt weighing down on us, we’d be ever more troubled. As is, by following sound financial advice, such as Ramsey’s, as well as the advice from the prophet to have a year supply of food, we really can live quite comfortably… only sacrificing some of the usual luxuries.

And I agree with your assessment – it is a blessing, and they will need it. The poor college days are fast approaching… and I’d rather have them well prepared. 😉

3. ryan says:

Hey, from an old wilderness survival instructor, squirrel stew is quite palatable–if you’re starving! So gamey you can’t hide the taste no matter what spices you put in.

Our little family is going through the same pains of down-spending. I recently lost my full-time job, but had a part time job that’s getting busier. But because of debt that I’m still in, the income I do have now is not enough to continue the lifestyle my family has enjoyed.

As the provider for the family, I have to fight feelings of inadequacy, low self-esteem, defeat, and insecurity. I know that living within your means is a good lesson for kids to learn. But the trial is for me to not get discouraged. I have succeeded in providing for my family for 10 years, and now I’m not doing too well. I realize that if we had not succumbed to affluence early, most of my debt would have disappeared over the last 10 years. But now I face my debt and it seems overwhelming to fight such a monster.

The prophet teaches correct principles and has sound advice. The year supply of food is not for some disaster, but for the unexpected that may occur at any time.

ryan

4. Persimmon says:

Ryan – I made mention of your post in the newest thread, “Our Power to Overcome”. You might want to head over there and take a peek. You’ve said some things that are pretty common – I was going to address them here, but Rusty has since noted the very chapter I was going to cite, doing so in a different way.

5. Rusty Lindquist says:

Ryan I too have commented on your thoughts on the post “Our power to overcome“. But I have other thoughts that I’m putting into a separate post about adversity. Suffice it to say, for now, that your view of yourself should not be even minutely diminished by such circumstances. The trials of our lives are positioned and designed in ways that build and make us stronger, and nothing you do can prevent them from occuring… as such, you should not feel discouraged when they do, for they were destined to happen.

There are some sufferings we must endure that directly result from mistakes that we make, but others that are simply within the divine plan of a loving father. In either case, both were foreknown and part of the plan for your perfection.

6. Susan says:

I’m amazed by your words! You inspire me.

‘As a father, it’s terrifically difficult to bear. I could easily just go spend the money. I don’t have any doubt I’ll soon be earning good income, without ever fully exhausting our reserves, but the opportunity to teach lessons of sacrifice, budgeting, and wisdom during hard times is too important.’

So beautiful words. What a respondible man you are!

It reminds me of a famous saying, ‘Whatever happens, happens for a reason.’ And now it comes your children’s turn to learn about life. That’s really a good thing. The earlier we learn about life, the more rational we will be over time. Your children can have a good lesson under this. I wish you all good luck!

Also, you can pass my words about butterfly effect (I wrote in your Make the most of what you have) to them if you’d like to. You are quite an optimist that I firmly believe you can go through everything!

Good luck with your new company!

Sincerely,
    Susan

7. Rusty Lindquist says:

Brian,

I feel terrible, your comment got caught up in spam because it had multiple links, otherwise comments are not moderated.

You’re kind to ask. Having perused both your personal blog (very entertaining I might add, and good luck on Mt. Rainier… I think you’re likely crazy, but am confident you already realize that), as well as your business blog, I’m happy you did.

In fact, I’m facing a bit of a dilemna of sorts at the moment. I was Vice President of Products for a leading technology company in the real estate sector for 8 years, and prior to that a Director of User Interface for Franklin Covey. I love inventing, designing, and building products that matter. I’m currently looking around me for opportunities, and have a few companies that I’m interviewing with for similar positions. But I’m also entertaining the notion of creating my own company(s).

The first company, in fact, would be geared around motivational speaking and writing. The second company is geared around building a technology concierge service for real estate professionals to help alleviate the growing disparity between real estate consumers technology expectations and real estate agents abilities to meet those expectations. The average real estate agent is a 53 year old female (last NAR survey), and not technology savvy, leaving those not eliminated through natural selection in the predicament of either having to figure it out for themselves, or hiring help. I believe the latter can be easily monetized, and have begun work to build this company. But to pursue this path further, I’m now in the need of finding funding, which appears to be one of the many things you excel at.

I’d be grateful to have further conversations with you about this, and appreciate (honored really) that you took the time to visit and say hi.

You can email me at rustylindquist@gmail.com. Thanks Brian!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!