Understanding the Plan of Salvation

For those of you who follow my blog and the comments closely, you know that I’ve mentioned a couple of times a project that I’m working on, a full-blown online presentation of the Plan of Salvation.

In so many of the doctrinal discussions that we have here, particularly with those that are not LDS (or Mormon), there is the need to fall back on the core understanding of the principles of this plan, and how they relate to the beliefs of Mormonism.  The topics of salvation, for instance (as the most recent example), the nature of God and Man, the role of Christ and the atonement, the role of the resurrection, what happened before earth, the judgment, and what happens after.

The longer we discuss these things the more I realize that to truly understand Mormonism, you must really understand the sweeping panorama of this grand plan.

But, at the same time, it’s doctrinally drenched, and can be tedious to articulate with words alone.  Consequently, I’m taking a highly visual approach.  Building a professional-level illustration of the primary components of the plan, with a summary explanation behind each component along with links to a full post dedicated to its description, and for further discussion.

Not only will this visual, interactive layout facilitate Latter-day Saints with their understanding and appreciation of God’s great plan of happiness, but it will serve as a fantastic visual overview for non-Mormons who can dive in where they wish for more information and further discussion.

Now, here’s where I’d like your help.  As a part of this presentation, I’d like to include with each component a full reference of scriptural sources to which viewers can look for additional study.

If you have favorite scriptures pertaining to the components of the Plan of Salvation (or the plan as a whole), in any of the Standard Works, please email me.  Let me know what they are so that I can be as inclusive as possible.

If not, I hope you’ll enjoy the results of this project.  I’m rather excited about it myself.

P.S.  This kind of visual representation will be particularly valuable when I build the translated version in Chinese, since most of the concepts are entirely new to non-Christians.

0 replies
  1. Rusty Lindquist says:

Oh, and P.S. I’ve neglected some of the comments simply because I’ve been busy. I intend to get back to them and answer them all tonight or tomorrow. So if you’ve been waiting patiently, I apologize. Hopefully you’ll not have to wait much longer. And thanks, as always, for the continued dialoge about such important matters.

If you haven’t been following the important discussions that have been taking place, the best way to get started is just to click on some of the “recent comments” in the column on the left.

2. Rusty Lindquist says:

Wow, for those of you who have already emailed me your “scripture collections” of the prinicples withing the Plan of Salvation, THANK YOU.

Please, keep it up, and don’t worry about duplication.

This is great for those who may not feel comfortable commenting, but who yet want to participate. It truly is a joint project.

Thanks again,

3. Anne Brown says:

Hi Rusty,
    I’m a simpleton, but greatly enjoy that you can articulate the things I wish I could ! In regards to your Plan of Salvation diagram, please let me share that D& C 6:34-37 is on my bathroom wall to help me remember who I am and why I am here, so that every morning as I prepare for another day, I can remember the big picture and face the things & people that could seem very harsh to deal with if I were not aware of the Great Plan of Redemption !
    Anne
    P.S I’m going to the temple for the first time in September ! and very excited about that !
    Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to me !

4. Eric Nielson says:

lds.org and mormon.org have a lot of good, ‘official’ explanations, and usually include the standard scripture references. I might suggest a lot of links and ‘cut and pastes’ from there.

I am looking forward to what you come up with.

5. markharrell says:

In regards to the Chinese Plan — have you thought about using the Zodica, or as the Bible calls it — the Mazzoroth as part of revealing that plan. Chinese people are really into the zodiac. It starts with Virgo (the virgin woman bearing seed), and continues in order until reaching Leo (the Lion of the Tribe of Judah). Every constellation reveals more of the Great Plan, all the while, the Crooked Serpent (Satan – Leviathan) is swimming in the middle of it all.

Tell me what you think. I have it in order in my new book: Secrets of the Spiritual Matrix at http://www.xulonpress.com. It is very useful in capturing the attention of people; they are amazed they never heard it before.

Mark Harrell

6. Joe Caldarera says:

I greatly enjoyed your site. I too am interested in developing a sequential chart depicting all the component parts of the Plan of Salvation. (one basic and one more detailed)This Sunday, November 16th I will be teaching a lesson on the Plan of Salvation to my High Priest group.

I had planned to distribute an empty grid of the Plan of Salvation and have the class fill in all the component steps in the POS. I have seen this class activity used with great success.

Do you have a rough draft of the chart of the POS that you can share with me ,and can I have your permission to use it in my class?

I look forward to hearing from you and keep up your work on a badly needed chart.

Joe caldarera

7. Mitch says:

Joe,

“No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are – I with you and you with me. I cannot go there without his consent. He holds the keys of that kingdom for the last dispensation – the keys to rule in the spirit world.” (Journal of Discourses, Brigham Young, Vol. 7, p.289)

“He stands, therefore, at the head of this dispensation and will throughout all eternity, and no man can take that power away from him. If any man holds these keys, he holds them subordinate to Joseph Smith…If we get our salvation, we shall have to pass by him, if we enter into our glory, it will be through the authority that he has received. We cannot get around him.” (Journal of Discourses. Apostle George Q. Cannon, Vol. 24, pp.275-277)

Just a few quotes to show that Mormons DO believe that nobody can get through to heaven without going through Joseph Smith first!

8. Rusty Lindquist says:

Joe,

Sorry, I didn’t get your post in time (was away for a while). I’d love to hear how it went though, and especially the scriptures/insights that you came up with and that were shared by the class.

Otherwise, I’ll make sure to let you know once I’ve got it complete. Like most my other projects, this one got put on hold for several months while I hunkered down and tried to get some work deadlines met.

Mitch

Thanks for sharing, although I don’t recall that ever being a question, it is true that the prophets will participate in our judgement, particularly those who sit at the heads of their various dispensations, e.g. Adam, Moses, Noah, Joseph Smith, etc.

9. Mindy says:

Hi, your blog sounds very interesting, but I was really thrown off by all the Google ads for “mormon garments,” “what the mormon church hides” and “why faith is stupid”. Those ads really send the wrong message about what your blog is about. Is it possible to lose them?

10. Rusty Lindquist says:

Mindy,

Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply, I just got back from New York, so I’ve been away.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven’t placed any ads on my blog, in fact, it’s entirely ad-free.

However I do use WordPress.com, which is a free blog hosting provider. The downside of wordpress.com is that it subsidizes it’s free blogs by occasionally putting ads on them. I don’t have any control over what ads appear or when they appear, in fact, this is the first I’ve heard of them appearing at all.

But, I was intending to move from WordPress.com anyway, this just made me realize that I need to do it soon. Perhaps I’ve now reached the traffic threshold where WordPress decides it’s worth adding the occasional ad.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!