Suffering in silence

by Life-Engineering on July 28, 2008 · 11 comments

I’ve moved this post to my new Life-Engineering blog, dedicated to motivating people to achieve their goals and change their futures by taking control of their lives.

You can now find this post here:

1 Margaret July 28, 2008 at 5:59 PM

A FRIEND

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end;
Yet days go by, and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year is gone,
And I never see my old friend’s face,
For life is a swift and terrible race.
He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine. We were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men:
Tired with playing a foolish game,
Tired with trying to make a name.
“Tomorrow,” I say, “I will call on Jim,
Just to show I am thinking of him.”
But tomorrow comes – and tomorrow goes,
And the distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner! – yet miles away . .
“Here’s the telegram, Sir. . .
‘Jim died today’.”
And that’s what we get, and deserve in the end:
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

by Charles Hanson Towne

2 Margaret July 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

I think one thing that many suffer from is loneliness.

I live near a subdivision of elderly people. Since my kids are grown and I am an RN, and recently cut back to working only 1 day a week, I decided about 15 years ago to take 1 day a month, now increased to 1 day a week, and check blood pressures and blood sugars on those who could benefit from it. In most cases they are OK, but what they really need is someone to check on them and talk to. On occasion I suggest some intervention, but mostly I just listen.

I have lived here for 30 years and have watched some of them go from being vital and active to old and sick, some homebound. Many of them served me when I was raising my family.

If you want to be richly rewarded, just volunteer to help the elderly. You’ll get way more than you ever give!

3 cornishevangelist July 29, 2008 at 2:50 AM

God Will Deliver

“Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution,”
{2 Timothy 3 v 12}.

Dear saints have you suffered persecution because you are a follower of Christ? I suspect that you have, because as you see in the Word of God, those that try to live godly lives will surely suffer for their faith, but, we also know that God is faithful and He will deliver us from all persecutions which we endure on this earth. The Lord our God will deliver us from every evil thing that will come up against us, and He will never let us suffer beyond that which we are able to endure.

The Lord will keep us safe as we journey through this life, and will bring us into His heavenly kingdom, that is His promise to you and me, for He has sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise. I am convinced that nothing shall be able to tear us apart from His love which is in Christ Jesus, we are able to go through anything that this life throws against us, for as it is written in {Romans 8 v 37}, “In all things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.”

Always remember our Lord will never forsake us, or leave us, His love was sealed for us at Calvary. Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me yea might have peace in the world yea shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the word,”
{St John 16 v 33}.

4 esfahan08 July 29, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Good post thanks. It is very important to realise who we are and we are not the only one living. This is something many missed in both their life and profession; therefore do whatever to make money. It is such a shame to see nothing stops such activities. Let’s all hope for the ideal world and the world in which the public are treated as they really deserve.

All the best.

5 cbgrace July 29, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Did the person realize they were “suffering”? The thing is, a spiritual dream must be interpreded in the Spirit.

Perhaps this was a “picture” of this persons spiritual condition…not a physical condition.

The second thing that comes to my mind is, people who are poor, who live in situations like this, rarely recoginize it. It is a way of life for them. My husbands family lives near the border of Mexico and they are poor…they don’t realize they are poor. It’s just their lifestyle. They don’t see the decaying walls all around them.

The third thing that popped into my head was…you said it was someone you know very well. Could it be you?

6 Margaret July 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM

cbgrace, your comment is very insightful. I’m sure we are all surrounded by those who are spiritually “poor” and we have no idea.

Now I have much more time to think about others besides my family (although they still do take up a good bit of my time). I hope I have many years to make up for those years when I neglected those around me. I have a huge debt to repay as there are many who have helped me along the way. I believe the best way we can show love for our Heavenly Father is to love and help his other children.

I’m not inspired enough to know what Rusty’s dream meant for him. From what I know about him through this blog, however, I feel that his life is very rich, full and blessed now, even if it wasn’t in the beginning. I doubt that the dream is about him, but someone(s) he needs th help. Perhaps it is those who read this blog who are spiritually poor, many of whom do not even realize it. By sharing his knowledge of the Gospel, he can help those who are willing to listen become spiritually rich in their knowledge. Rusty probably needs to study and pray and listen to the Sprit to find the answer. It’s obvious the Lord needs him.

7 Rusty Lindquist July 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Margaret, you’re so kind; Grace, you’re so thought-provoking!

I did indeed assume that the need in my dream was either spiritual, emotional, or otherwise intangible.

I wondered if the lesson wasn’t simply some kind of wake-up call, but until you mentioned it, hadn’t considered if the person IN the dream was me. But that indeed gives me something to think about.

Perhaps there’s something in my life that I’m simply ignoring, leaving me hollow and empty, but that I really need to wake up, face it, and fix it!

The only problem is, there’s so MUCH to fix in my life, figuring out which one takes priority is the hard part. Thanks for the prompting for further introspection.

8 Margaret July 29, 2008 at 2:11 PM

We all have things that need fixing. But what a blessing it must be to have such a dream. You may struggle for a while, but some day (hopefully soon) you will know just what it means and what you need to do. God Bless you in the process!

9 ditchu July 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM

This bags the question where you contimplating anything specific over the past few weeks that may need some direct action on your part. Often these “Wake-up calls” are a call to action not just contemplation.

I don’t know why but when I was reading through these comments I got an impression that your son need a little more attention at the moment. Please do not get me wrong but I am just relating what I felt. (not accusing anyone of anything) If you do figure it out (depending on how old he is) maybe include him in on helping this someone. I have found that charity never failith and when we help others we are also helping ourselves.

Good luck with this one and God Bless,
-D

P.S. Pray about it: that is a sure way to get an answer.

10 Rusty Lindquist July 29, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I absolutely appreciate you sharing. It’s an incredibly insightful lead, as a matter of fact, the context is beyond the scope of this thread, but indeed, I’ll give that some prayerful consideration.

With 6 children, I’m constantly finding myself struggling with making sure they’re all getting adequate attention. It’s easy, especially for some kinds of personalities, to just “blend in”, and be silent about your needs, even when they’re pressing.

Thanks D.